5 Oct 2009

Budding Hope



This picture was taken on the third of October. Fresh pink, budding with hope. Others gathering around to share the sun. Little do they know it's the beginning of the end. The end of a colourful season, and entering the grey zone. The Dark.

It might sound dramatic and ominous. And it is. By december it will only be light between 8.30 AM and 3.30 PM. The little light coming from the low sun barely peeking through my office window. And it gets wet.

Maybe it is the winter storm that has been ravishing us, and the North Sea, this weekend that has reminded me that summer is thoroughly over. Autumn is already changing into the grey wet mass of winter.

I consider myself lucky for living so far south. Further north it is pitch black all winter. But they say the snow lightens the dark. And Aurora Borealis, The Northern Lights, dances on the northern skies. Also here on a crisp winter night.

About six months from now snowbells will emerge from the still frozen soil. Daffs will follow, and so nature continues. But for now. The Dark is setting in. I think that is why I enjoy the beaches so much in winter. The sea and sand reflecting the little sun we get. Me making it stick to my retina.

But more so reason to enjoy the budding rose today. Hanging on to hope. Hope that the sun will move up the sky again. And bring us those long light summer nights.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful flower but I so know what you mean about Winter. I may live in London, but I'm actually from the North of Scotland, where the days are only a fraction longer than yours in the winter: 8.30am - 4pm on a good day I think. It's the dark mornings I struggle with. I just want to hibernate! But, saying that, the quality of the light is so special and makes me homesick whenever I see it in a photo xxx

    ReplyDelete

You're comments keep me going. Keep them coming.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...